The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Skream, Azari & III, Benjamin Damage, and More
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. This week's XLR8R podcast was delivered by Berlin-based Welshman Benjamin Damage (pictured above), who this week released his debut solo full-length, Heliosphere.
2. The latest edition of our popular In the Studio series found us traveling to Baltimore to check out the basement confines of veteran experimental duo Matmos.
3. In a bit of a surprise, the most popular selection from our Downloads this week was a remix from Robag Wruhme, who put his unique spin on Extrawelt's "Neuland," a track taken from the forthcoming Darkroom Dubs Vol. 3 mix CD.
4. Toronto outfit Azari & III announced a new remix album. The collection drops next week, and features reworks from Disclosure, Nicolas Jaar, Maceo Plex, Locked Groove, and many others.
5. Party-starting DC/Berlin duo Benoit & Sergio sat down for the latest chapter of Trainwreck to tell us a story about a nightmarish gig in Russia a couple of years back.
6. We reviewed Treat Me Right, the stellar new album from UK producer Trus'me.
7. Continually proving himself to be a rather generous man, Hackman offered up another tune for free download. The latest is called "Do Right," and it's a collaborative number with fellow Englishman Klic.
8. El Perro Del Mar will soon be releasing a new single called "I Was a Boy," and passed along a remix from the release for our Downloads section. Grab "Hold Off the Dawn (Gidge Remix)."
9. Up-and-coming producer Dauwd became the latest addition to our ongoing Bubblin' Up series, getting a proper in-depth profile on XLR8R right before he releases his new EP, Heat Division.
10. Dubstep heavyweight Skream turned heads this week when he announced that he would soon be teaming up with Pete Tong to release All Gone Miami 2013, a double mix CD focused on house music.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsThe Knife Splits, Announces Final Tour Dates
- NewsWarp Confirms Details of Upcoming Aphex Twin LP, Reveals Release Date
- NewsHear the Lead Track from Midland's Upcoming EP for Aus
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player