The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Julio Bashmore, Dusky, Joy Orbison, and More
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Photo: Dan Reid
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. This week's XLR8R podcast came from Dusky (pictured above), the London-based duo behind "Flo Jam" who will soon be releasing a new EP via the Aus imprint.
2. It was announced that an album compiling unreleased productions from the late J Dilla will soon see the light of day. Titled The Diary, it's due to appear this spring, but before then, a stream of lead single "Anthem" has been posted online.
3. After spending last weekend in frosty Montreal at Igloofest, we put together a list compiling 10 things we wouldn't forget about the uniquely compelling—and decidedly chilly—festival.
4. Poland's Kixnare came out of nowhere this week to offer up "Gucci Dough," a woozy, hip-hop-sampling tune that happened to be the most popular track in our Downloads section this week.
5. Treat Me Right, the much-anticipated new LP from Trus'me, will finally be released next week. Ahead of that, we posted a full stream of the new album right here on XLR8R.
6. Speaking of anticipation, Ableton will soon be releasing both its new Live 9 software and Push, its first-ever hardware controller. Just yesterday, the company announced the official release date for the two hotly tipped products.
7. Following a relatively quiet 2012, Balam Acab elected to kick off 2013 by giving away a free EP of new material, which he's called Club Water Discus.
8. Bristol beatmaker Julio Bashmore decided to get into the Valentine's Day spirit by offering up a free remix of "Suit + Tie," the new single from Justin Timberlake.
9. Another popular selection from our Downloads page was "Somateria," a sultry house groove from young UK producer Polkadot.
10. During our stay in Montreal for Igloofest, we managed to grab UK stalwart Joy Orbison for a quick interview, where we discussed his approach to playing tunes in the midst of a snowstorm, his admiration for Carl Craig, and his goals for 2013.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player