The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Teebs, Four Tet, James Blake, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. For the the latest edition of In the Studio, we visited the laboratory of Brainfeeder affiliate Teebs (pictured above) and peppered him with questions about his production set-up and his music-making methodology.
2. UK stalwart Four Tet gave away a free track, the lengthily titled "The Track I've Been Playing That People Keep Asking About and That Joy Used in His RA Mix and Daphni Played on Boiler Room."
3. As we do every month, we tallied up the most popular XLR8R downloads from the month prior and put them all into a single, easy-to-peruse list. Check out the Top 20 Downloads of January.
4. This week's XLR8R podcast featured an exclusive—and surprisingly deep—mix from UK up-and-comer Leon Vynehall.
5. The late J Dilla's birthday was yesterday. In honor of his legacy, Brooklyn beatmaker Shigeto offered up a package of tracks called Beats for Dilla as a free download.
6. Yours Truly and Pitchfork TV released a new video of UK duo Disclosure. The clip features the pair covering house classic "You Used to Hold Me" during a show in Brooklyn last year.
7. Following the recent announcement of his upcoming North American tour, James Blake officially unveiled his new album, Overgrown, which will be released in April.
8. Glasgow producer Soosh will soon be releasing his debut full-length, and passed along one of its tracks, "The Way You," as a free download.
9. The new album from The Knife won't be released until April, and we haven't actually heard it yet, but that didn't stop us from putting together a comprehensive list of the best and worst things about the forthcoming LP.
10. Native Instruments recently passed 100,000 likes on Facebook, and the Berlin company elected to celebrate by teaming up with XLR8R to give away 10 copies of its popular hardware sampler/groove sequencer/multi-faceted production unit, the Maschine.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- FeatureHi-Five: Juju & Jordash Select Their Favorite Jazz Tracks
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsTechnics to Launch High-Resolution Download Store
- FeatureGetting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- NewsNina Kraviz Details First трип Label Release; Preview It Now
XLR8R Downloads Player