Watch Flying Lotus, Shlohmo, TNGHT, and More Talk "Beats"
- Words: James Eaton
Red Bull Music Academy continues with its H∆SHTAG$ web series today, dropping a video which finds beatmakers like Flying Lotus, Shlohmo, TNGHT, and The Gaslamp Killer talking about their craft and the "beat scene" at large. What's more: XLR8R editor Shawn Reynaldo makes an appearance in the clip, and dishes out knowledge on the way the LA-centric sound has evolved over the years. Benji B, Dorian Concept, and FLyLo collaborator Thundercat also appear, talking about the rise and near ubiquity of instrumental hip-hop. This piece follows previous episodes which focused on the genres of "post-dubstep" and "alt-R&B." You can watch H∆SHTAG$ - Don't Call It #Beats below.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player