Jonwayne Releases New Beat Tape via Stones Throw
- Words: Glenn Jackson
LA-based producer/MC Jonwayne is no stranger to skirting the line between creative license and copyright infringement. Last year, he delivered the internet-only Jonwayne Fucks Disney EP (which almost exclusively sampled music from animated Disney films) and also quietly issued Cassette for Stones Throw, a beat tape which bore a not-so-subtle likeness to a Marlboro cigarette pack. Apparently, Phillip Morris didn't take too kindly to this, as the corporation recently sent over a cease-and-desist letter to the label. While that may have prompted the imprint to stop selling Casette, it hasn't deterred the release of a second beat tape from Wayne, this time featuring Coca-Cola-style artwork. The appropriately titled Cassette 2 is said to offer "36 minutes of rap tracks featuring Jonwayne, Jermiah Jae, Zeroh, and Quell," and is available only in tape form—no digital, no CD, and no vinyl release are in the works. Cassette 2 track "Passing Fancies" can be streamed below and a copy of the cease-and-desist letter can be viewed here for those wishing to see visual proof of "the man" in action.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- MP3Liar "Key Party (Spurz 'Key Bump' Edit)"
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player