The Lowdown - Locked Groove, Flying Lotus, Shlohmo, and More
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. This week on XLR8R was all about Locked Groove (pictured above). The day after we reviewed his new Heritage EP (and exclusively streamed it in full), the Belgian DJ/producer served up a new mix for the latest installment of the XLR8R podcast.
2. XLR8R explored The Art of Collaboration with an in-depth feature that included interviews with Dark Sky, Breach, DJ Koze, KiNK, Marc Romboy, and others.
3. NYC DJ/producer Jacques Renault topped our Downloads section this week with his remix of Chad Valley's "I Owe You This," a song featuring Twin Shadow.
4. In perhaps the goofiest development of the week, the folks at Red Bull Music Academy launched a new site this week called Modern MIDI Classics, a quirky web portal with MIDI versions of tunes from the likes of Flying Lotus, TNGHT, Mount Kimbie, Deadboy, and several others.
5. The Red Bull Music Academy gang was certainly busy this week, as it also debuted the latest chapter of its H∆SHTAG$ video series. This episode features on beat music and includes the thoughts of Flying Lotus, Shlohmo, Benji B, Dorian Concept, and others.
6. LA producer Justin Jay recently released The Everything EP via the Southern Fried label, and passed along a rework from London's Jack Fell Down as a free download.
7. Azari & III dropped a new remix compilation this week, and offered up "Lost in Time (VCO Remix)," a rework that actually doesn't appear on the record, as a free giveaway. It proved rather popular with our readers.
8. This week's XLR8R contest offered readers the chance to score a sleek pair of Munitio earbuds. Enter now before it's too late.
9. Frenchman J-808 tackles the sounds of countryman Fobator on his "Late Night Dub" of "Emotion," a deep and percussive selection from this week's collection of free downloads.
10. We went Deep Inside the self-titled debut from Austalian crossover sensation Flume, and spoke with the young producer about his rapid ascent and musical methods.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- Feature20 Questions - Garnier Talks Teenage Radio Shows, Living in the South of France, and Paying Way Too Much for The KLF
- NewsCheck Out Voices from the Lake's Ambient Mix for Beats in Space
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- 20 Questions - Garnier Talks Teenage Radio Shows, Living in the South of France, and Paying Way Too Much for The KLF
- Hi-Five - P. Morris Revisits His Roots and Lists His Five Favorite Go-Go Tracks
- A Generous Environment: Thoughts, Ideas, and Questions from patten
- Hi-Five - Kerri Chandler Lists the Five Tracks That Influenced Him the Most
XLR8R Downloads Player