The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Foundry, Mark E, James Blake, Mount Kimbie, and More
- Words: Patric Fallon
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. After spending last weekend at the final stretch of Toronto's Foundry event series (pictured above), we cited five things that we learned while in attendance, all of which can be read here.
2. As XLR8R is wont to do, we delivered another podcast to our readers this past Tuesday. Our latest installment was helmed by longstanding DJ/producer Mark E, and everyone seemed to think that was just great.
3. Iranian-born producer Amirali will issue a new single next month via Crosstown Rebels, but gave us the premiere of the chunky, retro-inspired bonus track "I've Been Waiting" to sate our appetites until then.
4. Thanks to FACT TV, we got to watch the excellent xxxy build a track from scratch in Ableton, which turned out to be quite illuminating.
5. Another solid tune that premiered in our Downloads feed this week is the bouncing remix of Bondax's new "Gold" single by UK producer Wolf Cub.
6. Of all the mixes that hit XLR8R this week, Jamie xx's and John Talabot's three-hour B2B DJ set ended up being the most popular of the bunch.
7. Mount Kimbie finally announced the details of its forthcoming second LP (coming May 28 via Warp), and went ahead and gave away a new track at the same time.
8. Speaking of giving away tracks, Hudson Mohawke helped excite people for Numbers' upcoming Pleasure Principle festival by handing out free downloads of a Janet Jackson remix that had previously only been available as a white-label 12".
9. James Blake also opted to give away music this week, a free live version of a track that will appear on his upcoming sophomore album, Overgrown.
10. Lifted from the forthcoming Time in Between compilation on the way from LA label/radio show Soulection, "On My Mind All the Time" by Seattle's Sango became one of this week's most popular downloads.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player