The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with James Blake, Space Dimension Controller, Shlohmo, Rustie, and More
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. The XLR8R podcast often takes the top slot on these lists, and this week's expansive mix from Dutch electro/techno maestro Borris Bunnik (pictured above), operating under his Versalife alias, was no exception.
2. We posted an exclusive stream of Welcome to Mikrosector-50, the new full-length from Space Dimension Controller.
3. XLR8R kicked off the week with a list of the Top 20 Downloads of February, which prompted a run on some of our most popular free tunes.
4. Ahead of his forthcoming sophomore LP, James Blake shared a stream of "Digital Lion," his collaborative track with electronic pioneer Brian Eno.
5. Shlohmo dropped his new Laid Out EP this week, and XLR8R went Deep Inside the record from the young LA beatmaker.
6. The latest installment of our Chatterbox series found us hopping online with Gold Panda for a quick chat session about his new EP.
7. UK producer Slugabed has been going full steam ahead with his new Activia Benz label, and continued the push by offering up a free download of his own remix of Eloq's "C'mon," the title track of the imprint's next release.
8. Mysterious London trio Chicago Flotation Device gave away "Untitled 6," a gritty, warehouse-style cut, in our Downloads section.
9. This week's contest offered readers the chance to score a Lowdi bluetooth speaker. Enter now before it's too late.
10. Scottish beatmaker Rustie surprised everyone on Monday with the release of a brand-new single via the Numbers label.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player