The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Nina Kraviz, J Dilla, Bobby Champs, and More
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. A new documentary surfaced this week about late hip-hip icon J Dilla (pictured above). The 30-minute film examines his life and career, using his immense record collection as a guide alongside commentary from his friends, family, and associates.
2. This week's XLR8R podcast was delivered by up-and-coming UK talent Bobby Champs.
3. Resident Advisor launched a new video series, Between the Beats, focusing on the life of traveling DJs when they're not behind the decks. The first installment featured Russian chanteuse Nina Kraviz.
4. XLR8R's In the Studio series always provides a fascinating look into the lives of producers, but the latest edition, featuring DJ Spoko, was truly special, as it found us going all the way to South Africa and taking some truly excellent photos in the process.
5. It seems like more and more producers are taking the "anonymous" route these days, and the latest to grace our website was Friend Within, who offered up bouncy house cut "The Cause" as a free download.
6. Monkeytown mainstay Siriusmo announced plans to drop a new album in June. The LP is called Enthusiast and the first single, "Itchy," is available to stream.
7. Ahead of her new EP for Culprit, Swedish artist Adeline gave us "What You Got (Tobia Coffa Remix)," a sultry rework of the forthcoming record's title cut, for our Downloads section.
8. Sónar unexpectedly cancelled the upcoming São Paulo portion of its extensive 2013 festival activities.
9. This week's chapter of Hi, Doctor Nick! found our resident advice columnist doling out wisdom about proper email protocol, production schools, and RBMA.
10. As he tends to do, Submerse inserted some videogame flavor into his warbling remix of Emufucka's "Xanadu," which was given away as a free download on our site.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player