Stream the New Space Dimension Controller LP
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Space Dimension Controller (a.k.a. Jack Hamill) has always been sort of an oddball, an artist whose engaging takes on various permutations of electro and techno has always been counterbalanced by an incredibly bizarre, sci-fi-flavored backstory involving time travel, aliens, lost love, and the destruction of Earth. It's a convoluted tale, yet the Belfast producer seems intent to continue fleshing it out with each of his records, most notably on 2011's stellar The Pathway to Tiraquon 6. The saga continues this week with the release of Hamill's new full-length, Welcome to Mikrosector-50, which drops via R&S and could be classified as positively cinematic in scope. Quite literally playing like a film—the LP even includes bits of character dialogue between tracks—the album also features more of Space Dimension Controller's distinct takes on '80s electro-funk, mellow synth-pop, pulsing techno, serene soundscapes, and more. Even with all the variety, Space Dimension Controller shows a skilled hand throughout, making for an album that's as compelling as it is unique. Welcome to Mikrosector-50 is streaming in full below.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player