The Lowdown - Coachella, Record Store Week, Disclosure, Scuba, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Last weekend, XLR8R made the trip to Indio, California for the opening round of Coachella 2013 (pictured above). In the aftermath, we put together a list of the Winners and Losers from the festival's first few days.
2. This week's XLR8R podcast came courtesy of LA electro-funk maestro Dam-Funk, who put together a session of vintage cuts he titled The Healing.
3. In anticipation of tomorrow's Record Store Day festivities around the globe, XLR8R put together a multi-part series of features we called Record Store Week. Our most popular piece focused on Berlin's Spacehall shop, although lots of people checked out our profiles of NYC's A-1 Records, LA's Mount Analog, and digital retailers Juno and Bleep.
4. Richie Hawtin's Minus label announced that it will soon be releasing MinMAX, an extensive new compilation that seeks to bridge the gap between the sounds of Minus and its sister imprint, Plus 8.
5. Busy UK producer Hackman offered up his club-ready remix of synth duo Eli & Fur's "Nightmares" as a free download.
6. Our latest contest offered readers the chance to score a Novation Launchpad S and Launchkey 49. We're still accepting entries, so interested parties should throw their name into the ring as soon as possible.
7. Fast-rising UK duo Disclosure finally announced the title and release date of its forthcoming debut full-length.
8. Hotflush boss Scuba is set to release a new pair of remixes next week, including a "Dub of Doom" mix of Jimmy Edgar's "Sex Drive" and an SCB edit of his own "Hardbody."
9. Wedidit affiliate and Anticon signee D33J gave us a free download of "Park (Tape Version)," the lead track from his upcoming Tide Songs EP.
10. There has been a lot of chatter about Ableton's recently released Live 9 software and accompanying Push controller, but this week XLR8R went on the record with our official review of these new offerings.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- Record Store Week: Co-Op 87
XLR8R Downloads Player