The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Zomby, Kyle Hall, DJ Sprinkles, and More
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Photo: Sophia Drevenstam
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. This week's XLR8R podcast was delivered by New Jersey deep-house veteran DJ Qu (pictured above).
2. The latest installment of Deep Inside found us digging into When Dancefloors Stand Still, the new mix CD from DJ Sprinkles. We also spoke at length with the enigmatic and intellectual artist.
3. Speaking of enigmatic artists, UK beatmaker Zomby unveiled a new track this week, which will supposedly be part of a forthcoming new album.
4. With the release of his debut LP right around the corner, Detroit's Kyle Hall posted a new video showcasing his production chops. In the clip, he makes a whole track in the span of just 30 minutes.
5. We reviewed The North Borders, the new album from UK staple Bonobo.
6. Following its original appearance during the closing credits of Adventure Time, "About That Time//A Glitch is a Glitch"—a new song from Flying Lotus—made its way online.
7. Disco and production legend Giorgio Moroder surfaced on a new video this week, in which he discusses his roots, the early days of disco, and his experience collaborating with Daft Punk on the French duo's upcoming album.
8. Andy Cato—better known as half of long-running duo Groove Armada—will soon be releasing a new album on R&S sub-label Apollo. Ahead of that, he offered up the Biosphere Remix of his song "Sundown Sant Agnes" as a free download.
9. NYC producer and broken-techno practitioner Flubba sent over "Tell Me" for our Downloads section. The tune marries clangy percussion with screwed vocal samples and dark, sensual vibes.
10. Another popular download this week came courtesy of Italian producer Broke One, a former RBMA graduate whose "Gravity" combines a bouncy rhythm with a playful spirit and knowing nods to classic Chicago and Detroit.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player