Unknown to the Unknown to Reissue Rave Classic "Tribal Tone"
- Words: Rebecca Bratburd
DJ Haus' unprecedentedly prolific Unknown to the Unknown label has announced it will soon drop a reissue of classic rave tune "Tribal Tone" by the now-defunct OHM. Originally released in 1992 via Scottish label Hubba Hubba, "Tribal Tone" was produced by the duo of Alan Watson and Yogi Haughton, who were tracked down by UTTU's label head to look into the reissue. According to DJ Haus, "Yogi recalls being outside the Ministry of Sound one night and seeing a car come screeching around the corner with six blokes in it all hanging out the windows with "Tribal Tone" blaring out, and the car literally swaying from side to side with them jumping about to the tune," which sounds like more than enough reason for the raucous label to give the track a second home.
The original 12" release included Watson's "Ruffneck Mix" and Haughton's "Mo' Better Grooves Mix" (which is said to be the first production to use a Korg M1). Those two versions of "Tribal Tone" will feature on the reissue alongside remixes from UTTU mainstay Capracara and recent Bubblin' Up featuree Marquis Hawkes. Though a release date has not yet been announced, Haughton's "Mo' Better Grooves Mix" can be heard in the player below, and an interview with DJ Haus about his label's upcoming reissue is available on Juno Plus.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player