Nudge's latest video is, like much of the band's music, meandering, minimal, and a little creepy. Taken from a forthcoming compilation from the folks at the Brainwaves Fest, where the Los Angeles-based psychedelic rock outfit is slated to play, "Cymatic" features sparse, jangling guitars, plenty of zig-zagging noise, and absolutely zero percussion. As far as the video goes, we're not really sure what's happening on screen, but it's hypnotic as hell and a rather pleasant head-fuck to start the day with. Read more »
By all accounts, this year’s Reggae Sumfest concert, held July 13-19 in Montego Bay and one of the island’s largest multi-artist events, was a major success. Although rumor had it that international guests like T-Pain and Lil’ Wayne did not fare so well with the notoriously fickle Jamaican audience, local veterans and new talent all shone at the well-produced three-day event. Read more »
Baltimore's going on tour–round robin style. Dan Deacon has gathered artists from Floristree, Wham City, Tarantula Hill, The Bank, Comfort Dome, and other crews in the Baltimore music scene for the Baltimore Round Robin Tour, which kicks off in October.
The multi-city event will feature nightly shows in which bands sit in a circle on the periphery of the performance space and play back-to-back songs around the room, no breaks in between. The audience, meanwhile, will view the show from the center of the room.
Read more »
Oh the many things one can do in an elevator–fight, take a coffee break, play the clarinet, have sex. The video essentially follows the lyrics to I'm From Barcelona's "Paper Planes," a new song off the Jönköping, Sweden-based band's forthcoming Who Killed Harry Houdini album. Yes, the paper planes show up too. Read more »
Dutch electronic producer Jochem Paap has made a career of reinvention. Recording as Speedy J since 1990, the Rotterdam-born musician has had several pioneering moments, including his break-through 1992 single, “Pull Over,” on Richie Hawtin’s Plus 8 label, and headlining the 2008 DEMF Festival in Detroit. Paap’s albums, G Spot (1993), Ginger (1995), Public Energy No. Read more »
Sasu Ripatti's back, with a newly announced full-length from his Luomo moniker, under which he makes dreamy, dubby house music. Convival will pick up where 2006's Paper Tigers left off, with guest appearances this time around from Robert Owens, Cassy, Apparat, and Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears.
Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player