Listen to A Guy Called Gerald's Three-Part, 150-Plus Minute Mix
- Words: Brad Stabler
Electronic music pioneer and UK mainstay Gerald Simpson (a.k.a. A Guy Called Gerald) presumably needs no introduction. Simpson has made a large impact on multiple facets of dance music throughout his career, beginning with acid house (where he enjoyed a role in the 808 State trio), jungle and drum & bass, and then back to techno and house. We saw a glimpse of this most recent transition as part of his MUTEK podcast for XLR8R last year, and yesterday the producer unveiled a sprawling new, three-volume mix. Entitled After the After Selection for its first two parts, and simply The After Selection for its third, Simpson crafts a truly after-hours mix, beginning mid-stream and primarily focusing on deep house but gradually weaving more acid, jack, and electro cuts into the fold as the set rolls on. The three-part effort was stealthily uploaded to Simpson's SoundCloud, and is available to stream as seperate volumes one, two, and three. (via FACT)
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player