The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Daft Punk, Julio Bashmore, Skream, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Undoubtedly the most hyped release of 2013, Daft Punk's Random Access Memories isn't officially released until next week, but a full stream of the LP surfaced on iTunes this week.
2. Although he's best known for his instrumental role is spreading dubstep to the masses, Skream has been steadily broadening his palette in recent months. That effort continued this week when he offered up a free mix with a decidedly disco bent.
3. Chicago house legend Paul Johnson put together the latest XLR8R podcast, the second chapter of our month-long 20th anniversary mix series.
4. We premiered a new video for Mathew Jonson's "Metropolis," a song which kicks off the forthcoming MiniMAX compilation on the Minus label.
5. The top slot in the Downloads section this week was occupied by Lowb's "Inward Outburst (Synkro Remix)," a bleary-eyed rework with enticing percussion.
6. Before Uffe's new EP drops at the end of this month, we were sent the Envee remix of "Valentine's Card," which we posted as a free download.
7. It's pretty easy for a rework of James Blake to go awry, but MANIK's makeover of "Life Round Here" is a quality piece of silky, disco-tinged house.
8. A stream of "You Took Your Time," a cut from Mount Kimbie's soon-to-be-released sophomore LP, Cold Spring Fault Less Youth, surfaced this week.
9. We reviewed the Mirror Song EP, a new collaborative outing from Bristol stalwarts Julio Bashmore and Kowton.
10. San Francisco's oOoOO will soon be releasing his debut full-length, and he posted one of its songs online this week. A stream of "Mouchette" can be heard now.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player