The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Four Tet, Daft Punk, Disclosure, Mount Kimbie, Boards of Canada, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. As part of the ongoing Red Bull Music Academy in New York, Four Tet sat down with a group of students to detail his live set-up, a video of which hit the web this week.
2. Our brand-new From Studio to Stage feature with Mount Kimbie touched down in XLR8R's Gear section this past Monday, and everyone seemed pleased to learn about how the UK duo transforms its recording set-up into a live rig.
3. Traxman continues with the theme of giving fans an inside look at the creative process with a video of the Chicago producer building a beat on the spot, and in 10 minutes, no less.
4. This week, we went Deep Inside Daft Punk's long-awaited fourth album, Random Access Memories, analyzing the record's immense hype and how that affected fans' perceptions of the French duo's music.
5. Another big feature that appeared on XLR8R this week is called Wax Ecstatic, in which we speak with label owners like Kyle Hall and Gerd Janson, among others, about the limited-edition vinyl craze.
6. DJ, producer, Keysound label co-owner, and music scribe Blackdown wrote a fiery post on his blog, taking on a dubious quote from a recent interview with Disclosure.
7. A full stream of Mount Kimbie's brand-new LP for Warp, Cold Spring Fault Less Youth, hit the internet this week, which we were all more than happy to hear.
8. Our third Twentieth Anniversary podcast arrived this week from Detroit house/techno mainstay Stacey Pullen.
9. After spending all of last week at Boston's eight-day Together Festival, we post our wrap-up in the form of a list called 10 Lessons We Learned from Together Festival.
10. Scottish duo Boards of Canada shared a stream of its first new track in eight years, the somberly disquieting "Reach for the Dead."
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- PodcastGerd Janson
- NewsTodd Terje's New "Delorean Dynamite" Video Looks to Sell an Actual Delorean; Watch It Now
- NewsUrulu Preps Upcoming 'Banshee Boardwalk' EP; Hear the Title Track Now
- NewsStream a New Track from Recondite's Upcoming 'Iffy' LP
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
XLR8R Downloads Player