The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Masters at Work, Moderat, Disclosure, Movement Festival, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. XLR8R's fourth and final installment of our celebratory Twentieth Anniversary podcast series came from iconic New York house duo Masters at Work.
2. German trio Moderat is still far off from releasing its sophomore LP, but in the meantime, Modeselektor and Apparat have shared that the album's first single, "Bad Kingdom," will drop in July.
3. Just before Disclosure shared the full stream of its debut LP, Settle, multi-talented West Coast artist Toro y Moi unveiled his remix of the UK duo's "You & Me" single.
4. This week, Mount Kimbie released its second album, Cold Spring Fault Less Youth, via Warp, and reviewed the record, finding lots to love—but not without a few hesitations.
5. One of our many free downloads posted on XLR8R this week came from LA producer Groundislava, who remixed a track by anonymous "concept duo" Tireme.
6. After spending Memorial Day Weekend in Detroit at the annual Movement festival, we condensed our experiences, and wrote them out as a five-point breakdown.
7. Los Angeles artist Baths released his Obsidian LP via Anticon this week, so we asked him to tell us a story to commemorate the occasion, and the artist born Will Wiesenfeld came back to us with a tale of the time that he feared for his life while performing in the middle of the woods.
8. Another festival we attended this past weekend was Primavera Sound in Barcelona, and as XLR8R is wont to do, we boiled down our whole trip into an easy-to-digest list format.
9. Locked Groove inaugurated his eponymous record label with a solid two-track 12", which we enjoyed quite a bit and subsequently reviewed.
10. With Jon Hopkins' latest album set to release next week via Domino, the talented UK artist shared a full stream of his powerful, eight-song Immunity LP.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player