The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Omar-S, Nosaj Thing, Four Tet, Maya Jane Coles, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. The most popular post on XLR8R this week was a free download we premiered of the nocturnal and mysterious remix which Nosaj Thing did for Jon Hopkins' "Open Eye Signal" single.
2. Kicking off our month-long series of podcasts celebrating XLR8R's 20th anniversary, Detroit icon Omar-S hooked up an exclusive mix which delves into vintage house and electro.
3. Another mix that was pretty big on XLR8R this week was a DJ set by Maya Jane Coles which appeared as her Essential Mix for BBC Radio 1, and can now be downloaded for free.
4. UK DJ/producer Jorge Takei offered us the premiere of his Aretha Franklin-sampling tune, aptly called "Aretha," so we gave it away as a free download.
5. B-Ju's remix of Kill Frenzy & Sacha Robotti's "I Like It" single was a pretty big hit on XLR8R this week.
6. We reviewed the consistently intriguing and challenging techno sounds put forth on Detroit wunderkind Kyle Hall's debut album, The Boat Party.
7. Before he took over Webster Hall for his RBMA showcase, Four Tet went on Tim Sweeney's Beats in Space radio show to deliver some fresh sounds and chat with the host. The broadcast was subsequently posted for all to stream and download for free.
8. Our latest gear review appeared this week, and found us taking an in-depth look at Elektron's latest machine, the Analog Four.
9. Edinbrugh's DFRNT gave us a track from his upcoming Nobody Stop Me EP, the stark, piano-driven house of "The Way You Look at Me."
10. XLR8R's contest this week comes from audio technology brand NuForce, who is giving away its latest in-ear headphones, the NE-650 Ms, to four lucky readers. Enter here while you still can.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player