Watch an RBMA Lecture with Disco Legend and Inventor of the Remix Tom Moulton
- Words: Glenn Jackson
Now that RBMA's first NYC session is officially underway, we expect a steady stream of the event's many lectures and tutorials will begin to make their way to the web. Today, the first has arrived in the form of a fascinating discussion with legendary disco producer and the man credited with inventing the 12" single, the remix, the extended breakbeat, and more, Tom Moulton. The two-plus hour lecture covers much of Moulton's career from his time—no joke—purchasing 45s to stock jukeboxes to crafting the first continuous mixtapes and, of course, his long career of producing, mixing, and mastering some of disco's most classic hits. The complete lecture can be watched in full here.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player