Watch Todd Edwards' RBMA Lecture
- Words: Tim Gentles
While we wait for the second NYC session of Red Bull Music Academy to kick off this coming Sunday, RMBA has shared its recent lecture with New Jersey-garage elder statesman Todd Edwards. In the course of the nearly hour-and-a-half-long discussion, Edwards touches on his own discovery of house music in the early '90s, the difference between house and garage (turns out it comes down to the prevalence of samples, the speed of the track, and garage's shuffling beat), and why he decided to return to music after taking a hiatus a few years back. Like all of the RMBA lectures, the producer plays some of his classic tracks—discussing their technical creation as well as the context in which they were released—and then takes a number of questions from the audience along the way. The lecture can be watched in full here.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player