Watch Todd Edwards' RBMA Lecture
- Words: Tim Gentles
While we wait for the second NYC session of Red Bull Music Academy to kick off this coming Sunday, RMBA has shared its recent lecture with New Jersey-garage elder statesman Todd Edwards. In the course of the nearly hour-and-a-half-long discussion, Edwards touches on his own discovery of house music in the early '90s, the difference between house and garage (turns out it comes down to the prevalence of samples, the speed of the track, and garage's shuffling beat), and why he decided to return to music after taking a hiatus a few years back. Like all of the RMBA lectures, the producer plays some of his classic tracks—discussing their technical creation as well as the context in which they were released—and then takes a number of questions from the audience along the way. The lecture can be watched in full here.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player