Theo Parrish to Curate Black Jazz Compilation
- Words: Jesse Sussman
Given Theo Parrish's musical background—drawing heavy inspiration from jazz greats like Miles Davis and Nina Simone—it's no surprise that the iconic Detroit artist is next in line to curate a compilation of classics from the historic Black Jazz label. Set for a digital, CD, and double-vinyl release via Snow Dog, Theo Parrish's Black Jazz Signature is comprised of 12 hand-selected tracks which were first released in the '70s by the aforementioned jazz label—including music from the likes of Black Jazz founder Gene Russell, The Awakening, and Doug Carn. Before the album's release on August 20, the artwork and tracklist for Theo Parrish's Black Jazz Signature can be found below.
01 Doug Carn – Trance Dance
02 Gene Russell – My Favorite Things
03 The Awakening – March On
04 The Awakening - Convulsions
05 The Awakening - Jupiter
06 Calvin Keys – Criss Cross
07 Rudolph Johnson – The Highest Pleasure
08 Walter Bishop Jr. – Those Who Chant
09 The Awakening - Mirage
10 Calvin Keys – B.E.
11 Rudolph Johnson – Time And Space
12 Walter Bishop Jr. – Blue Bossa
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player