The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maceo Plex, Native Instruments, Marcel Fengler, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. The most popular item on XLR8R arrived from a trio of unlikely collaborators—namely, tech-house giant Maceo Plex, whose remix of Coldcut's edit of the classic "Music for 18 Musicians" by Steve Reich was offered as a free download for the first time this week.
2. Our review of Native Instruments' sleek Traktor Kontrol Z1 DJ mixer also did very well, probably because we deemed it "an effective, reliable DJ partner for the iPad."
4. Native Instruments' new Traktor DJ app for iPhone and iPad can still be grabbed as a free download, which is a wonderful thing.
5. After spending the weekend in Croatia for The Garden Festival, we highlighted 11 things that we won't soon forget about the experience.
6. Another popular tune on XLR8R this week was Irish producer Mmoths' beat-centric remix for "Halogen Moon" by Wintercoats.
7. Last Japan's Darsk EP is out next week, but he's preemptively shared one of its tracks, "Float," as a free download.
8. We got news of a forthcoming remix album for Andrew Weatherall's The Asphodells project, which includes productions from Daniel Avery, Ivan Smagghe, and more.
9. This week's contest on XLR8R is offering an Android-ready, wireless sound system from nascent audio technology company Wren. Enter now, while you still can.
10. Veteran DJ/producer Recloose unveiled his excellent remix of "Raw Cuts #5" by German house star Motor City Drum Ensemble before it's released as part of an upcoming compilation of such remixes.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
- Hi-Five - DJ Q Reminisces About His Five Favorite UK Garage Bootlegs
XLR8R Downloads Player