The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Scuba, Four Tet, Moderat, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Following the final edition of his Berlin-based Sub:stance party, Scuba (pictured above) discussed its history and why he elected to bring the party to a close.
2. Last weekend, we trekked a few hours outside of Berlin to the 2013 edition of Germany's Melt! festival; after its conclusion, we put together a summary of the festival's highs and lows.
4. New Jersey native and Italians Do It Better boss Mike Simonetti delivered a new mix for this week's edition of the XLR8R podcast series.
5. Detroit veteran Mike Huckaby shared a new video in which he gives a "masterclass" in Ableton's Live 9 while also sharing some general production tips.
6. Before its sophomore album II drops next week, German trio Moderat unveiled a stream of LP cut "This Time."
7. Up-and-coming LA beatmaker Knxwledge offered up a new beat tape with the clever title of Hexual.Sealings.Prt.5.
8. Hessle Audio co-founder Pearson Sound delivered a new mix this week, one that's entirely focused on the output of Dave Huismans (a.k.a. 2562, A Made Up Sound).
9. London producer AEIOU sent along the hard-hitting "Loin" as a free offering for our Downloads section.
10. Another popular tune from the Downloads section was the Shenoda remix of Ursa Minor's "October," a seven-minute excursion into deep dancefloor grooves, refracted vocal processing, and a subtle hint of electro-pop appeal.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player