Stones Throw to Release Egyptian Lover Anthology
- Words: Tim Gentles
Hip-hop- and soul-centric label Stones Throw has just unveiled its plans to release a career-spanning anthology from pioneering hip-hop and electro artist Egyptian Lover. Known for seminal tracks such as "Egypt, Egypt," "Dial-A-Freak," "Girls," and "Freak-A-Holic," Egyptian Lover started out in the early '80s making electro mixtapes of artists like Kraftwerk, Rick James, and Zapp, adding beats over the music with his signature Roland 808. The artist born Greg Broussard went on to release loads of 12"s, EPs, and LPs over the span of nearly three decades, much of which will appear on the forthcoming compilation from Stones Throw. Though we have no specific details as to the contents of the anthology, we do know that it will consist of classic and unreleased tracks taken from Egyptian Lover's original reel-to-reel master tapes, and will appear as a box set and 12" single sometime in 2014.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player