Check Out a New Mix from Ikonika
- Words: Tim Gentles
- Photo: Georg Gatas
London-based DJ/producer Ikonika (a.k.a. Sara Abdel-Hamid) released her sophomore album, Aerotropolis, at the end of last month via Hyperdub, and now, the shapeshifting artist has delivered a mix for Self-Titled that pays tribute to one of her album's big influences: freestyle. On the genre and its influence on Aerotropolis, Abdel-Hamid says, "The last album was very much about my UK garage roots and video games; this album started off with a trigger and I ended up fantasizing about being a freestyle producer." Ikonika's "Animatronik Mix" can be streamed below, and an in-depth interview with Adbel-Hamid can be found over on Self-Titled, here.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player