The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Skream, Andy Stott, Roska, and more
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Photo: Stephanie Chang
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Last weekend, we headed to Amsterdam for the inaugural edition of the Dekmantel festival (pictured above), and put together a lengthy review detailing 10 reasons that we loved the event.
2. The latest installment of the XLR8R podcast came courtesy of Terrence Parker, a Detroit veteran and one of the city's early proponents of house music.
3. We've been enjoying FACT TV's Against the Clock video series in recent months, and the newest episode highlighted the talents of UK funky stalwart Roska.
4. UK dubstep mainstay Skream has been openly flirting with disco in recent months, and now he's prepped a new single along those lines. "Rollercoaster" hasn't been released just yet, but it's already streaming online.
5. In celebration of the decade-long collaboration between Adidas and Japanese fashion designer Yohji Yamamoto—who together are responsible for the Y-3 line of athletic wear—a new compilation is being readied with tunes from Larry Heard, Maurice Fulton, Joe Claussell, Daniel Wang, and many others. Irish producer Mano Le Tough also turned in a track, which is available now for free download.
6. This week's contest offered readers the chance to score headphones from AIAIAI and Kitsuné. Enter now before it's too late.
7. Manchester producer Andy Stott is the latest artist to offer up a tune for Adult Swim's ongoing singles series. "Anytime Soon" finds him collaborating again with vocalist Alison Skidmore, and it's available for free download.
8. A collective called LGBT Rights for Russia has commissioned a new compilation that includes tracks from Legowelt, Hieroglyphic Being, Huerco S., Perc, Kink & Neville Watson, Truss, and more. All proceeds go to support GayRussia, organizers of the Gay Pride parade in Moscow and one of the few LGBT rights organizations in Russia.
9. Ahead of his new EP for Error Broadcast, Lithuanian producer 96wrld passed along "Bruce Willis," a tune which fits dusty, jazzy boom-bap, 808-driven skitters, and barrages of foreboding synth squelches into a head-spinning 180 seconds. It's available for free download.
10. Prolific LA beatsmith Knxwledge announced plans to release both a new EP and LP on Irish label All-City in the months ahead.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- ReviewFantastic Mr Fox "You Turn"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Caribou, Todd Terje, Gerd Janson, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player