Video Premiere: Kid Smpl "Necklace"
- Words: Leo Maymind
XLR8R was happy to share an exclusive stream of burgeoning Seattle producer Kid Smpl's Armour EP a few weeks back, and now, "Necklace," one of the five tracks from that EP, has been paired with some dreamy visuals that perfectly encapsulate its soft edges and glowing atmospherics. Having previously collaborated with the likes of Samiyam, MONO/POLY, LOL Boys, and Archie Pelago, director Annapurna Kumar, a motion graphics and projections designer from LA, takes a subtle approach to this piece, which shows her understanding of how to compliment a song. Neutral watercolors blur into focus as charcoal, hand-drawn graphics appear and collapse; pastel colors mingle with an opaque background of fluctuating images. There's a serenity inherent in Kumar's work, and it feels even more fitting as summer approaches fall.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player