Video Premiere: Kid Smpl "Necklace"
- Words: Leo Maymind
XLR8R was happy to share an exclusive stream of burgeoning Seattle producer Kid Smpl's Armour EP a few weeks back, and now, "Necklace," one of the five tracks from that EP, has been paired with some dreamy visuals that perfectly encapsulate its soft edges and glowing atmospherics. Having previously collaborated with the likes of Samiyam, MONO/POLY, LOL Boys, and Archie Pelago, director Annapurna Kumar, a motion graphics and projections designer from LA, takes a subtle approach to this piece, which shows her understanding of how to compliment a song. Neutral watercolors blur into focus as charcoal, hand-drawn graphics appear and collapse; pastel colors mingle with an opaque background of fluctuating images. There's a serenity inherent in Kumar's work, and it feels even more fitting as summer approaches fall.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsWarp Confirms Details of Upcoming Aphex Twin LP, Reveals Release Date
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player