Because Music Readies Compilation of Vintage French Electronic Music
- Words: DeForrest Brown
International label Because Music has established itself as a mainstay in the world of electronic music since its inception in 2005, having helped champion the likes of DJ Mehdi, Justice, and Erol Alkan. Now, the French-born music group plans to release a compilation of vintage electronic productions from its home country, exploring the eclectic narrative of "cosmic and electronic avant garde" sounds from across the '70s. Called Cosmic Machine: A Voyage Across French Cosmic & Electronic Avantgarde (1970-1980), the release promises to be an extensive trip into a time when "the future wasn't yet a retro notion."
Olivier Carrié (who curated the Shaolin Soul series) handpicked the 20 spacious synth-disco jams and ambient ruminations featured throughout Cosmic Machine—including Jean Michel Jarre, Serge Gainsbourg's "Le Physique Et Le Figure," Thomas Bangalter's father Daniel Vangarde (a.k.a. DVWB), disco icon Marc Cerrone, and "Le Bracelet" by Alan Goraguer, whose Fantastic Planet soundtrack was sampled frequently for Madlib's Quasimoto records. Exploring the more emotive and passionate side of French electronic music history, the forthcoming compilation is something of a love letter to innovative and experimental composers who championed analog synthesizers and challenged the all-consuming American disco scene at its peak. Before Because Music's Cosmic Machine is made available on October 14, its tracklist can be found below.
1. Patrick Juvet "Le Reve"
2. Didier Marouani "Temps X"
3. Droids "Shanti Dance Part 1 & Part 2"
4. Fraçois de Roubaix "Survol"
5. Space "Magic Fly"
6. Universal Energy "Disco Energy (I)"
7. Pierre Bachelet "Motel Show"
8. Space Art "Love Machine"
9. The Atomic Crocus "Ombilic Contact"
10. Jean Michel Jarre "Blackbird"
11. Bernard Fevre "That Is To Be"
12. Cerrone "Generique (Debut)"
13. Frederic Mercier "Spirit"
14. Quartz "Chaos"
15. Rene Roussel "Caramel"
16. Serge Gainsbourg "Le Physique Et Le Figure"
17. DVWB "Acqua"
18. Alain Goraguer "Le Bracelet
19. Jean-Jacques Perrey "E.V.A."
20. Rockets "Rocket Man (Instrumental)"
- Feature20 Questions - Garnier Talks Teenage Radio Shows, Living in the South of France, and Paying Way Too Much for The KLF
- NewsCheck Out Voices from the Lake's Ambient Mix for Beats in Space
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- 20 Questions - Garnier Talks Teenage Radio Shows, Living in the South of France, and Paying Way Too Much for The KLF
- Hi-Five - P. Morris Revisits His Roots and Lists His Five Favorite Go-Go Tracks
- A Generous Environment: Thoughts, Ideas, and Questions from patten
- Hi-Five - Kerri Chandler Lists the Five Tracks That Influenced Him the Most
XLR8R Downloads Player