The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Machinedrum, Prefuse 73, Joker, and More
- Photo: Angel Ceballos
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Fresh off the launch of his new label Yellow Year, veteran beat experimentalist Prefuse 73 (pictured above) assembled an exclusive mix for this week's XLR8R podcast.
2. As we do at the start of every month, we checked the numbers and compiled a list of the Top 20 Downloads of August. Now readers can grab all of last month's hottest free tunes in one place.
3. At the end of this month, Machinedrum will be releasing his latest LP, Vapor City, and this week, he shared another single from the album, "Gunshotta."
4. Though he's spent much of the past year or so outside of the limelight, Bristol producer Joker reappeared this week with a Sega-inspired album, which he offered up for free download.
5. Longstanding UK outift The Black Dog announced plans to launch its own music-tech company, and is currently raising money to fund the creation of its first product, a custom-designed MIDI controller.
6. After several years of waiting, Apple recently released Logic Pro X. XLR8R spent some time with the software, and this week we published our official review of the program.
7. Physical Therapy is about to release the new whitelabel EP on Sinden's Grizzly imprint, and the label was kind enough to give us the record's final song—a remix of the title track by Canadian producer Nautiluss—as a free download.
8. Chilean producer Ricardo Tobar will soon be dropping a new full-length, and has elected to donate a remix of lead single "If I Love You" by Parisian artist Low Jack to our Downloads section.
9. This week's contest offered readers the chance to win a set of portable speakers from NudeAudio. Enter now before it's too late.
10. Another highlight from the Downloads section this week was "Rodeo," a frantic piece of pop-tinged IDM from Brooklyn beatmaker Bruce Smear.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player