Honey Soundsystem Ends Its Weekly San Francisco Party
- Words: Glenn Jackson
In the past five years, San Francisco's Honey Soundsystem—a crew which counts Jason Kendig, Josh Cheon, Robot Hustle, and DJ PeePlay as its residents—has served as one of the city's most consistently forward-thinking nights for house and techno. With help from an eclectic mix of guests selectors (DJ Sprinkles, Tim Sweeney, Prosumer, Anthony Naples, and Mark E have all taken to the decks for the party this year), the Sunday weekly become a renowned regular night not only in the gay community, but also with Bay Area dance music connoisseurs. Now, at the peak of its run, Honey Soundsystem has decided to end its weekly SF party with one final shindig set to send off the event on a high note this Sunday. In an email exhange with Resident Advisor, Honey resident PeePlay cites the crew's drive to invest more time into "[gigging] as a crew and individually, and work[ing] on music production and label management" as a main reason for brining the weekly to an end. PeePlay also tells RA that the crew plans to continue throwing parties and events on a more irregular basis, saying, "We have new ideas and want to challenge our fans with new venues, bigger dancefloors, and even the occasional non-dance projects we have become known for."
Honey Soundsystem's final Sunday party will take place on October 20 at SF's Holy Cow—the crew's weekly home for the past three years—and will celebrate the release of School Daze, a collection of rediscovered tracks produced by legendary San Franisco disco producer Patrick Cowley forthcoming on Honey Soundsystem's own label. (Before it's released, however, that album can now be streamed in full, here.) The full details of Honey Soundsystem's final night can be found on the flier below.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player