The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Ghostly International, Four Tet, Oneman, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. All week long, XLR8R indulged in its annual celebration of Labels We Love, and although all of the features proved popular with our readers, they flocked in droves to our list that included 10 of our favorite imprints along with a handful of up-and-coming labels to watch.
2. We're currently overseeing a remix contest with shapeshifting UK producer/vocalist Ghostpoet. Three winners will have their reworks cut onto one-off dubplates; entries will be accepted through November 14, so enter now before it's too late.
3. Labels We Love kicked off on Monday with an in-depth profile of the long-running Ghostly International imprint.
4. Even the XLR8R podcast series got in on the Labels We Love action, as PAN founder Bill Kouligas was enlisted to put together an exclusive mix.
5. Our weekly contest presented readers with the chance to win one of Novation's new Launchkey mini controllers. The deadline is coming up quickly, so enter soon.
6. Four Tet issued his new album, Beautiful Rewind, a few days ago; our review detailed the LP's highs and lows.
7. The most popular tune from our Downloads section this week was a crisp, shuffling remix of Yolanda Be Cool's "To Be Alone" by rising producer Urulu. Of course, the song was available for free download.
8. Another Labels We Love feature was a special edition of our Hi-Five series in which Running Back founder Gerd Janson looked back at his label's catalog and selected some of its most memorable releases.
9. Ahead of its release next week, UK duo Laszlo Dancehall gave XLR8R an exclusive stream of the pair's new EP, the simply titled LZD II.
10. UK spinner Oneman offered up the much-anticipated second volume of his Solitaire mixtape series as a free download.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player