The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Machinedrum, Four Tet, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- Photo: Timothy Saccenti
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. This week's most popular item—and it wasn't even close—was the latest XLR8R podcast, an expansive, two-hour mix from Brooklyn experimentalist Oneohtrix Point Never.
2. Our readers have been loving our weekly contests as of late, especially this week's chance for someone to win a set of ROKIT studio monitors. Enter now before it's too late.
3. Apparently, the folks at Point Blank Music School also want to hook people up with free stuff, as they announced a contest offering the chance to win a Moog Sub Phatty.
4. Four Tet has been tempting fans with talk of a new LP for the past few months, and had previously released streams of a couple of new songs in the process. This week though, he decided to let loose with the entire album, and posted a stream of the complete Beautiful Rewind online.
5. Last week, XLR8R headed up to Seattle for the annual Decibel Festival, and our subsequent review detailed 13 reasons why we thought this year's edition was a success.
6. Following months of intense anticipation, Machinedrum finally released his new album, Vapor City, this week, and we sang its praises in our official review.
7. In a move designed to push its flagship Maschine production center into new territory, Native Instruments announced the forthcoming release of a reimagined Maschine Studio and enhanced 2.0 software.
8. In terms of spelling, the most popular track from our Downloads section this week is perhaps the most complicated tune we've ever hosted. It's a remix of Polish duo XXANAXX's "Broken Hope" by London producer xxxy.
9. The debut EP from Prefuse 73's and Teebs' collaborative Sons of the Morning project dropped this week, and the duo followed it up by putting together a joint DJ mix.
10. As we do at the beginning of every month, we compiled a list of the top 20 downloads of September so that our readers could grab all of last month's hottest tunes in a single place.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player