Read a Brief History of Detroit Electro Pioneers Cybotron
- Words: Glenn Jackson
Legendary Detorit electro outfit Cybotron (a.k.a. the combined efforts of Juan Atkins and Rik Davis) is set to have its pioneering 1983 electro/proto-techno LP, Enter, reissued by the Fantasy label in the coming weeks. In anticipation of the forthcoming release, a new article has surfaced examining the paths that led Atkins and Davis to begin experimenting with electronic music, and how the pair's seminal work pushed Detroit music forward.
Penned by noted author and music journalist David Tompkins and featuring portions of Tompkins book on the history of the vocoder, How To Wreck a Nice Beach, the illuminating piece details how the pair met while taking electronics courses, also delving into Davis' time as a soldier in Vietnam and the unique musical atmosphere and hardships which characterized an impoverished Detroit and helped fuel Cybotron's creative output. Tompkins' full article can be read over on Spin.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- FeatureGet Familiar: thePeople
XLR8R Downloads Player