Theo Parrish Remixes Mala on New 12"; Hear It Now
- Words: DeForrest Brown
Brownswood is set to release a 12" for "Como Como"—a cut lifted from Mala's 2012 record Mala in Cuba—as a limited-edition 10", pairing it with an incredibly astral remix by iconic Detroit house artist Theo Parrish (pictured above).As one half of Digital Mystikz, Mala has essentially helped forge the landscape of dubstep, and the excellent Mala in Cuba saw the bass-inclined producer shifting gears and exploring the use of live musicians in its titular location. Parrish's remix of "Como Como" expands on that, featuring ethereal and haunting loops of vocal and instrumental fragments. He essentially twists his production into a ghost of Cuban music, rather than the sort of celebration that Mala had initially created. "Como Como (Theo Parrish Remix)" can be heard below, and the 10" will be available for purchase on October 21.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player