Theo Parrish Remixes Mala on New 12"; Hear It Now
- Words: DeForrest Brown
Brownswood is set to release a 12" for "Como Como"—a cut lifted from Mala's 2012 record Mala in Cuba—as a limited-edition 10", pairing it with an incredibly astral remix by iconic Detroit house artist Theo Parrish (pictured above).As one half of Digital Mystikz, Mala has essentially helped forge the landscape of dubstep, and the excellent Mala in Cuba saw the bass-inclined producer shifting gears and exploring the use of live musicians in its titular location. Parrish's remix of "Como Como" expands on that, featuring ethereal and haunting loops of vocal and instrumental fragments. He essentially twists his production into a ghost of Cuban music, rather than the sort of celebration that Mala had initially created. "Como Como (Theo Parrish Remix)" can be heard below, and the 10" will be available for purchase on October 21.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player