Video: Gardland "Nothing But Not Zero"
- Words: Leo Maymind
No-frills Australian techno duo Gardland has shown a proficiency with making the most out of a limited palette, and that same ethos is prevalent on the recenty released visual piece for "Nothing But Not Zero," a track from the pair's impending debut album Syndrome Syndrome (out tomorrow via RVNG). The tune finds Gardland balancing a stilted arpeggio and lonely, hollow-sounding synth melody over a straight ahead techno beat that subtly morphs as the track progresses. The accompanying visual is equally sparse, and uses extreme, wobbly close-ups of various landscapes—some recognizable, some foreign—to disorient the listener and heighten expectations for a sudden change that never comes.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player