When your musical influences are equal parts techno, 8-bit, and hip-hop, intriguing things are bound to arise. In the case of The Screaming Dance EP, French producer Léonard de Léonard's latest release, those things include frantically-paced synths, random intervals of yelling, and the overall feeling that one is trapped inside a videogame quest gone awry. Somehow all this works–startlingly well. Friends Chris de Luca (formerly of Funkstorung) and Phon.O step in to provide remixes of the EP's title track. Read more »
After a hiatus that lasted more than two years, Tim Holland, a.k.a. Sole, returned to the public eye this past October with the anticon. release Sole and the Skyrider Band. And despite what Holland's numerous solo endeavors (not to mention, his moniker) might lead you to believe, the Skyrider band actually exists. Read more »
A weekly examination of our favorite current and forthcoming albums, compilations, and singles.
Read more »
Controversial cockney emcee Beezy (think: a more street-sounding The Streets), whose saucy vocal dubplates for N-Type and others have raised eyebrows, is offering his new A Day In The Life album for free. “All I ask is that you give me the time to actually sit there and listen,” wrote Beezy recently on Dubstepforum. His next album, Lost In Translation, also drops soon.
Read more »
South London-based experimental dubstep artist Burial is rising in mainstream dance charts as his groundbreaking sophomore album, Untrue, continues to win new fans. The album is now ranked above Dizzee Rascal, Simian Mobile Disco, and Justice on the BBC weekly electronic music charts. Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player