Check Out the Winners of XLR8R's Ghostpoet Remix Competition
- Words: James Eaton
- Photo: Sophia Spring
A few weeks back, we partnered with multi-talented UK artist Ghostpoet for a remix competition in which XLR8R readers would rework one (or more) of three singles from his recently released Some Say I So I Say Light LP for [PIAS] Recordings, with the winning reimagined versions of each song getting cut to a dubplate by London's longstanding vinyl mastering and pressing plant The Carvery. We received a ton of solid contenders for each of the tracks ("Meltdown"'s remixes are here, the remixes for "Dial Tones" are here, and all of the "Cold Win" entries are here), but could only pick three winners.
After scouring through the hundreds of entries, our team of judges landed on Dutch producer Bastard Sugar's surreal version of "Dial Tones," UK artist Thinnen's dark and bass-loaded take on "Cold Win," and the heavily percussive house remix of "Meltdown" by Londoner Joe Ashworth. All three of the tracks will be cut to their own dubplates by The Carvery, and can be streamed in full below.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player