The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with John Talabot, Clark, Tom Trago, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. This week's XLR8R podcast was assembled by Warp veteran Clark and offers plenty of his signature raw, hyperactive rhythms.
2. The latest installment of In the Studio found us visiting the Amsterdam lair of Rush Hour stalwart Tom Trago and peppering him with questions about his production methods.
3. Dubstep don Coki graced our Downloads section with "Chicken Bop." Now available for free download, the bass-loaded cut was previously floating around the web and being openly pined for by the UK producer's many devotees.
4. We kicked off this week with a new chapter of our B2B series, this one featuring a conversation between Chicago footwork heavyweight DJ Rashad and UK bass enthusiast Om Unit.
5. The latest XLR8R contest offered readers the chance to score a Novation Launch Control. We're still accepting entries, so enter now before it's too late.
6. UK producer Tessela took on the challenge of our Hi-Five series this week, selecting five of his favorite '90s hardcore cuts and telling us why each one is important to him.
7. John Talabot's highly anticipated DJ-Kicks mix is dropping next week, so it's little surprise that our readers flocked to a stream of the album when it surfaced online a few days back.
8. Machinedrum is in the midst of a lengthy world tour promoting his new Vapor City LP, and a snazzy video appeared this week, offering a preview of what people in North America can expect when the tour comes back Stateside next week.
9. The calendar recently flipped to November, so XLR8R did its regular ritual of compiling the most popular tunes from our Downloads section during the previous month. The Top 20 Downloads of October can be viewed here.
10. It's not often that Timo Maas appears on XLR8R, but when one of his tunes was remixed by UK producer Tom Demac, we were happy to make an exception. His rework of "Tantra" is available as a free download.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player