The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Laurel Halo, Hudson Mohawke, Nina Kraviz, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. We relaunched our Artist Tips series this week with some sound production advice from Berlin-based producer Objekt (pictured above), who offered, "Five Ways to Preserve Your Sanity and Make Your Tracks Sound Better in the Process."
2. The latest XLR8R podcast came courtesy of shape-shifting Brooklyn producer Laurel Halo, who recently issued a new album via Hyperdub.
3. Hudson Mohawke hit 100,000 "likes" on Facebook this week, so he decided to give away a free package containing four of his most popular edits.
4. Nina Kraviz announced the imminent release of a new EP, Mr. Jones, which will contain six brand-new tracks when it drops later this month.
5. This week's contest presented readers with a chance to score one of JBL's (literally) flashy new Pulse bluetooth speakers. Enter now before it's too late.
6. John Talabot's new DJ-Kicks mix album was released this week, and readers seemed particularly interested in checking out our review.
7. Our latest installment of Bubblin' Up took a closer look at German multi-instrumentalist and piano virtuoso Nils Frahm, whose new LP is scheduled to drop next week.
8. The most frequented selection from our Downloads section this week was a remix of Parisian post-punk trio Tristesse Contemporaine, whose "Fire" was reworked by Mexican Cómeme affiliate Daniel Maloso.
9. Last weekend, XLR8R headed to Turin, Italy for the city's annual Club to Club festival, and our subsequent review detailed 12 things we'll remember about the top-notch event.
10. Back here in the US, XLR8R also spent last weekend checking out the Brooklyn Electronic Music Festival, which we didn't enjoy nearly as much. Our review outlined the festival's shortcomings and shined a light on its few bright spots.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- NewsCheck Out Caribou's 'Essential Mix' for BBC Radio 1
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsStream a New Track from Om Unit's Upcoming EP for Metalheadz
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player