The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Mount Kimbie, Disclosure, Noah Pred, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Prolific Dutch synth wizard Legowelt (pictured above) gave away a free sample pack of sounds from a Roland JD-800, one of the many vintage synthesizers in his collection.
2. UK duo Disclosure surprised everyone by unveiling a new tune this week, a pop-house number called "Apollo."
3. This week's XLR8R podcast was put together by Berlin-based Noah Pred, who will be issuing his new LP, Third Culture, next week.
4. UK pop songstress Katy B shared a new track this week. Entitled "I Like You," the song was actually produced by fellow Brit George FitzGerald.
5. Veteran producer Mark Pritchard has been busy as of late, and this week he dropped a massive new mix that explored his passion for vintage jungle.
7. There has been a lot of intermingling between pop music and the electronic sphere over the past year or two, so XLR8R decided to look at the phenomenon a little more closely with our Pop Goes the Dancefloor feature, which includes commentary from Duke Dumont, George FitzGerald, Bondax, Jessy Lanza, and more.
8. The most popular track from our Downloads section this week came from French producer Kulkid, whose "U Were the One" combines a snappy house beat with a steel-drum rhythm and other upbeat elements.
9. Following a long production hiatus and the recent release of a new EP, Dopplereffekt seemed ripe for re-examination, so we put together a list of 10 essential facts about the mysterious duo.
10. Hotflush boss Paul Rose (a.k.a. Scuba) announced that he will soon be releasing a new single under his SCB alias.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
- Hi-Five - DJ Q Reminisces About His Five Favorite UK Garage Bootlegs
XLR8R Downloads Player