Club to Club Shares Kode9-Curated Sound Design Project, Launches Remix Contest
- Words: Glenn Jackson
As part of last month's Club to Club festival (our full review of which can be read here), the week-long event's organizers teamed up with the British Council and Hyperdub label head Kode9 to curate an audio tribute to the festival's home city of Torino, Italy. The six electro-acoustic works that make up the resulting A Great Symphony for Torino can now be streamed in full, and furthermore, are also available to be remixed.
As the story goes, five local outfits—2L8, OOBE, Vaghe Stelle, XIII x Sabla, and a group of Sound Design students from IED Milano—were selected to honor a historical location within Torino using only sounds recorded from those locations. In addition, Kode9 has added a composition of his own to the collection, focused on the city's Monte dei Cappuccini.
All six of those contributions to the A Great Symphony for Torino project can be streamed below, and they are also all part of a newly launched remix contest, which offers stems for every production (with the exception of Kode9's effort, which is actually a rework combining elements of all the other compositions). These stems can be remixed and submitted to the artistic director of Club to Club, who will select a winning rework and include it in the project's next release. Submissions are due by January 6, 2014, and must be sent to "info[at]clubtoclub.it with the subject 'A Great Symphony for Turin Remix,' your name (or moniker), and a link to download the track, which will then be uploaded on the project's Soundcloud page." The individual stems can be downloaded here, and more details can be found on the Great Symphony for Turin's website, here.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player