Club to Club Shares Kode9-Curated Sound Design Project, Launches Remix Contest
- Words: Glenn Jackson
As part of last month's Club to Club festival (our full review of which can be read here), the week-long event's organizers teamed up with the British Council and Hyperdub label head Kode9 to curate an audio tribute to the festival's home city of Torino, Italy. The six electro-acoustic works that make up the resulting A Great Symphony for Torino can now be streamed in full, and furthermore, are also available to be remixed.
As the story goes, five local outfits—2L8, OOBE, Vaghe Stelle, XIII x Sabla, and a group of Sound Design students from IED Milano—were selected to honor a historical location within Torino using only sounds recorded from those locations. In addition, Kode9 has added a composition of his own to the collection, focused on the city's Monte dei Cappuccini.
All six of those contributions to the A Great Symphony for Torino project can be streamed below, and they are also all part of a newly launched remix contest, which offers stems for every production (with the exception of Kode9's effort, which is actually a rework combining elements of all the other compositions). These stems can be remixed and submitted to the artistic director of Club to Club, who will select a winning rework and include it in the project's next release. Submissions are due by January 6, 2014, and must be sent to "info[at]clubtoclub.it with the subject 'A Great Symphony for Turin Remix,' your name (or moniker), and a link to download the track, which will then be uploaded on the project's Soundcloud page." The individual stems can be downloaded here, and more details can be found on the Great Symphony for Turin's website, here.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player