The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Burial, Flying Lotus, Nicolas Jaar, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Following a Q&A session on Twitter, Flying Lotus (pictured above) unexpectedly gave away a large ZIP file full of rough beats, demos, and unreleased tunes.
2. Hyperdub surprised everyone by releasing Rival Dealer, the new EP from mysterious UK producer Burial, a full week early. They also posted a stream of the entire EP online.
3. Nicolas Jaar issued a new mix this week. Entitled Our World, it was crafted as a tribute to John Lennon and posted on the 33rd anniversary of his death.
4. As part of our ongoing Best of 2013 coverage, we posted a list of what we thought were the best labels of the year.
5. Our end-of-the-year series also included a couple of lists devoted to the XLR8R podcast series; one focused on our editors' 10 favorites, while the other detailed which mixes were the most popular in 2013.
7. XLR8R began the week by looking back at our 2013 slate of editorial features; the article included the 10 features that we liked the best, along with a rundown of the year's most popular pieces.
8. Sci-fi techno duo Dopplereffekt released a new video, which will only be available online for 21 days.
9. Native Instruments recently released its new Maschine Studio, and this week saw us posting a thorough review of the device.
10. UK producer Jon Hopkins has been popular on XLR8R all year long, so it's no surprise that our readers flocked to hear the new Pangaea remix of his song "Collider," which is streaming online.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player