DIVA Reveals Identity, Announces New Label
- Words: Patric Fallon
Journey back with us for a moment to just over one year ago, when XLR8R included a little-known anonymous producer named DIVA in our list of new artists to watch, a decision we made more or less based on one exciting EP released at the end of 2012 via the solid New Kanada label. Call us overeager or call us too forward-thinking, DIVA unfortunately remained quiet throughout 2013, but that silence is now over. The producer has unveiled himself as Matt Didemus, half of Canadian synth-pop duo Junior Boys, and announced that he'll soon inaugurate his own label with a compilation featuring the first new music from DIVA since 2012.
Called Obsession, Didemus' label aims to "explore the outer reaches of visceral club music, equal parts dancefloor introspection and sonic extrospection," according to a press release. Its first record will be a sampler featuring tracks from Iron Galaxy & Sexlife, Yør, Primitive World, and DIVA himself, and is scheduled to drop in "early March." We currently have no other details on the release, but we do have a clip of DIVA's upcoming contribution, a clattering and mechanical cut of techno called "Judas," which can be heard below.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player