The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Four Tet, Nils Frahm, Disclosure, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Four Tet (pictured above) surprised everyone this week by appearing a new video where he samples Michael Jackson's classic Thriller album and makes a track in 10 minutes.
2. German piano virtuoso Nils Frahm unveiled a new video of his own this week, a meditative clip for the song "Says."
3. Gear aficionados everywhere were talking about Roland's announcement that it would soon be reviving its revered 808 line with a new device that has been dubbed Aira.
4. UK pop-house pair Disclosure debuted a new video for LP cut "Grab Her."
5. Experimental Warp artist Patten gave away a free collection of edits that reworked tracks from Burial, FKA Twigs, and more.
6. This week's XLR8R podcast was delivered by UK producer and new-school grime leader Visionist.
7. Ahead of its release via Crosstown Rebels in early February, XLR8R had the chance to debut a stream of a new remix from Hotflush boss Scuba, who reworked a track from Seattle producer Pezzner and Italian vocalist Amina.
8. This week's contest offered readers the chance to win a pair of stylish sunglasses from Shwood. Enter now before it's too late.
9. The Red Bull Music Academy officially opened its enrollment for 2014. Interested artists have until March 18 to submit their application for this year's academy in Tokyo.
10. JETS, the collaborative project of Machinedrum and Jimmy Edgar, will soon be releasing a Jamie Lidell-voiced cover of '80s funk hit "Midas Touch." After the track was completed, Machinedrum took the pieces and made his own version, a stream of which surfaced this week.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player