Video: Torn Hawk "Bad Deadlift"
- Words: DeForrest Brown
L.I.E.S. affiliate Luke Wyatt (a.k.a. Torn Hawk) has steadily kept to his own path, making uniquely varied takes on aged genres of music, like industrial and krautrock. Along with this, Wyatt has consistently shown a flair for warped visuals ripped from degraded VHS material, pushing a kind of faded, tip-of-the-tongue nostalgia that's readily apparent on his new video for "Bad Deadlift." The clip sees Torn Hawk in prime form as he pairs his tangled, kraut-y house jam with overlapping film and digital footage, the two mediums forging into a hypnotic sensory overload. Towards the end of the trippy cut, "Bad Deadlift" comes to a halt before an ambient passage emerges, giving Wyatt room to fill in the space with sounds from the original footage for an abrasive finish.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player