The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Rustie, Com Truise, Evian Christ, and More
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Photo: Danny Scales
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Fresh off the release of his new EP, we asked New Jersey synth wizard Com Truise (pictured above) to put together the latest edition of Artist Tips. He shared a few recommendations for artists looking to get the most of out their productions.
2. There has been lots of talk about Roland's new AIRA series in recent months, and even though the new devices haven't yet been officially released, Australia's Live School got its hands on a TR-8, sampled it, and created an Ableton Drum Rack that was then offered up as a free download.
3. Machinedrum's new Fenris District EP will be released next month, but a stream of one of its tracks, a remix of "Back Seat Ho" by Scottish bass monger Rustie, surfaced online.
4. The latest XLR8R podcast was delivered by UK-born, Berlin-based house experimenter and PAN affiliate Heatsick.
5. UK producer Lone has been maintaining a relatively low profile over the past year or two, but he made his presence known this week with a new remix of Illum Sphere's "Embryonic."
6. Black Moth Super Rainbow frontman Tobacco announced that he had signed to Ghostly International. He'll soon be releasing a new LP and embarking on a US tour.
7. Heady London producer patten, who just released a new LP for Warp, sat down with XLR8R and shared his (admittedly complex) thoughts about making music and being an artist.
8. German duo COMA premiered a new video on XLR8R, an adorable clip for "Missing Pieces" from last year's In Technicolor album for Kompakt.
9. Kassem Mosse surprised everyone by quietly releasing a new LP, Workshop 19, last weekend.
10. UK beatmaker and Tri Angle artist Evian Christ kicked off the week by unveiling a new mix for Resident Advisor.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player