The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Jamie xx, Four Tet, Teebs, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Jamie xx (pictured above) and Four Tet teamed up for a joint DJ mix on Sydney's FBi radio, and the session included a new collaborative tune from the pair called "Seesaw." Within a few hours, a stream of the track had surfaced online.
2. UK synth and controller designer Novation gave away a 1GB sample pack of "loops, single hits, multi-sampled patches, and drum kits from its unforgettable and modern classic synths."
3. This week's XLR8R podcast was assembled by Italian-born, Berlin-based avant-techno auteur Lucy.
4. UK garage legend DJ EZ performed for more than three hours on Boiler Room this week, and the video of his set quickly became mandatory viewing.
5. Ahead of Strut's double-disc Dance Mania compilation, Hardcore Traxx, which drops next week, a mini-documentary detailing the history of the pioneering Chicago label debuted online.
6. A brand-new video interview with Berlin techno mainstay Magda was premiered this week; it's the latest installment of Resident Advisor's Origins series.
7. LA beatmaker and Brainfeeder affiliate Teebs announced the impending release of his sophomore LP and posted a new track online.
8. London producer Perc took part in the latest chapter of our Hi-Five series, selecting five of his favorite acid cuts.
9. Dutch synth wizard Legowelt will soon be releasing a new LP, Crystal Cult 2080, and the Creme Organization label stoked our collective excitement by posting an extensive preview of the album's 12 tracks.
10. Com Truise will be releasing a new EP, Wave 1, later this month, but a stream of the entire record popped up this week.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player