The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with SBTRKT, Todd Terje, KZA, and More
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Resident Advisor offered up another installment of its Real Scenes documentary series, with the latest edition taking an in-depth look at the current state of Tokyo's club scene—specifically, its fight against Japan's "morality law," Fueiho.
2. Japan was very popular on the site this week, as the latest XLR8R podcast came from veteran disco producer and renowned record collector KZA (pictured above).
3. UK producer and famed record digger Floating Points posted a five-hour mix of rare soul cuts online.
4. Ahead of his forthcoming debut LP, space disco wizard Todd Terje shared a stream of his "raging" new single "Delorean Dynamite."
5. Masked UK artist SBTRKT debuted a new track on the radio and announced an upcoming series of 12" releases.
6. The always-active Machinedrum shared news of a forthcoming new EP on Ninja Tune, along with a stream of the lead single.
7. We started off the week by hosting an exclusive stream of Churches Schools and Guns, the immersive new LP from Lucy.
8. LA beatmaker Shlohmo and R&B crooner Jeremih have been busy in the studio, and decided to share a free download of "No More," a track from their upcoming collaborative EP.
9. The newest chapter of our Bubblin' Up series profiles up-and-coming Scottish producer Lockah.
10. Legowelt and Xosar stopped by the Beats in Space radio show this week, and host Tim Sweeney subsequently shared a stream of their in-studio sets.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player