Red Bull Music Academy Plots "Bass Camp" Series in San Francisco, Montreal, and Detroit
- Words: Glenn Jackson
Between sharing its new documentary and announcing plans to launch a festival in New York this year, Red Bull Music Academy has been a somewhat regular sight on XLR8R this week. The surge of action is likely because the application deadline for RBMA's 2014 session in Tokyo is just around the corner (March 15, to be exact), which conveniently brings us to the organization's upcoming Bass Camp series—a handful of mini-academies featuring special lectures and events set to touch down in San Francisco, Montreal, and Detroit over the next three weeks.
The Bass Camp run will begin this weekend in San Francisco. Events include a screening of RBMA's new doc, preceded by a lecture session with veteran NYC DJ/producer Francois K (full disclosure, the discussion will be moderated by XLR8R editor Shawn Reynaldo). In addition, Francois K will be performing alongside the likes of Carl Craig, Suzanne Kraft, and Ghosts on Tape later that night. Full details of RBMA's SF Bass Camp can be found here.
Beginning on February 27, RBMA will set up shop in Montreal for a four-day musical takeover, which will include various lectures and performances from Egyptian Lover, Junior Boys' Jeremy Greenspan, and a special event co-coordinated alongside MUTEK. The complete rundown of the four-day Montreal Bass Camp can be found here.
RBMA's Bass Camp series will conclude in Detroit the following week, with a book release planned for Thursday, March 6 and lectures from Eddie Fowlkes, Kenny Dope, and Dâm-Funk set to take place on the following three days, respectively. Also part of the Motor City takeover will be a production "Round Robin" which will bring together Todd Osborn, Amp Fiddler, Marcus Belgrave, Dez Andres, and others for ongoing live collaborations on Friday, March 7. The following night will also include a special edition of Benji B's Deviation party, which will include performances by Waajeed, Dâm-Funk, and Kenny Dope at Detroit's TV Bar. No online list of RBMA's upcoming Detroit events has been made public yet, but more information is expected to pop up as the dates approach.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player